I keep waiting around for the perfect time to update our blog and I realized that there is no perfect time, so I will do a little as I go.
So much has happened in these past few months! Joseph and I were talking about how this year has had the most changes for us than any other year since we've been married. The year started out poorly, but has become great. We have had the loss of a job, 2 moves, one new baby, some health problems for the kids and a partridge in a pear tree. Ok, no partridge, but all the rest have been some pretty big deals.
First of all, our most dramatic change (though we had a couple) is that we are now residents of Tuba City, AZ. I am always surprised when anybody has heard of it, shocked when I hear that someone has actually been there. It is 75 miles away from nowhere in particular, literally in the middle of nowhere. 75 miles North of Flagstaff, South of Page, West of the Kayenta and East of the Grand Canyon. It's on the Navajo Indian Reservation and a stone's throw from the Hopi reservation. We love it. It is a new adventure and so far, things are going well. Everyone we have met has been so happy and friendly!
I'll get back to some tales from the Res in a minute, but our other dramatic change was adding Emelia. Though I have already blogged about her coming, I have not blogged about her drama. We found out at 6 weeks old that she has ureter reflux and a "duplicated system." BAsically, she has 2 tubes going from 1 kidney to her bladder (that's the "duplicated system") on one side and only 1 on the other side and all 3 are letting the urine go back into her kidneys. This is bad, obviously, but not as bad as a heart issue, so we deal with it. The doc said she has about a 35% chance of growing out of it and will likely need surgery at some point, but for now she is on daily antibiotics. She is the happiest baby I have ever seen and we love her so much. She turns 4 months on Monday and today after trying to squeeze her into 6-9 month clothes, I finally gave up and got down the 12 month outfits. She is growing like her big bro did. Chubby little red-haired girl with a big ol' smile.
So back to some tales of the res. Our first few hours were not the most promising. Joseph had gone up to TC a week ahead of us to figure out the housing and start work. He had gone to a church activity and talked to people about helping us move in, got some phone numbers and promises of aid. Well, when he got there with the U-haul, he could not get ahold of anybody and started unloading the truck. The kids and I got there about an hour later and my mom pulled up behind us. We all got busy trying to move in and wondering where the promised help could be. Joseph and I were in the truck getting more to take in when we heard a loud scream from inside the house. Immediately, I ran in with the big backpack I was holding still on my shoulder and saw Jacob standing in the middle of the living room holding his hand which was at an odd 45* angle. I picked him up, ran outside to the car all the while yelling at Joseph to get the car and take us to the hospital since we knew his arm had to be broken. Lucky for us, we were in the town with the only hospital for the area, the next closest being 1 1/2 hours away. Sparing the details of the hospital visit, it was actually a rather pleasant experience as far as hospital visits go. He got his arm set in a splint and we became acquainted with the health care system up there. Meanwhile, my mom was at home with the girls trying to figure out what to do with our stuff. She looked on my phone which had been left on the shelf in our rush out the door and found the number to the senior missionaries who had called me the week before. She explained what was going on and within 10 minutes, we had a full force of movers. We came home to a house full of boxes, set up beds and a u-haul which was turned in for us. We were so grateful to have that done and overwhelmed by the love the Church members showed by helping us. When we met them the next day, they were all excited to meet us and see how our little boy was doing.
I spend my days still unpacking, chasing kids and exploring our new town. More tales to come....
Thursday, December 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Tuba City rocks! lol, you should make a trip to Page and eat at RD's....delish!
Post a Comment