This past week was pretty busy. First, I made a wedding cake for a couple at my mom's work. It was actually for a luncheon at work, but this couple didn't have a reception or anything, so they had me make a cake so they could just have one. This is how it turned out. It was really fun to do. They wanted pale yellow and calla lilies, so I made the flowers out of gumpaste. They are so easy and fun! The yellow came out more vibrant than I wanted, so the subtle design was not as subtle as what was in my head. Since they hadn't told me exactly what they wanted, though, this was exactly what they wanted. I heard that it tasted good, though since it had both dairy and eggs, I was not able to partake.

We also went to the Phoenix Heart Walk last Saturday. The Scott & Laura Eller Congenital Heart Center (Evelyn's cardiology group where she spent her first month of life) had its own team. Since everybody on the team was family of a kid who had been in the hospital, everyone had a stroller. We lined up at the front of the group to have the stroller brigade lead the walk. It was really fun to see some of the parents we had seen in the hospital, the cardiologist and some of the nurses. Amazingly, everyone looked less stressed than when we saw them in the hospital and we actually got to talk to some of them. I am just so grateful that Evelyn is doing so well. One of the nurse practitioners came over to see Evelyn and was impressed by how big she's gotten. She said, "We told you she would have problems with growth and look at her. She sure made a liar out of all of us, huh?" That's fine with me. (As an update on her condition: she is doing great! At her last appt. 2 weeks ago, we were told that the pressure across the pulmonary valve is at most 25 which is barely considered mild. As Dr. Pophal put it, "That's nothin'." Also, she had a hole between the upper chambers of her heart which appeared to have no flow across it, so probably it closed on its own. Even if it didn't, they won't worry about it until she's older. As far as monitoring, we have graduated to 4 months between visits and eventually will get to yearly visits. I can hardly wait!) Here is a picture of us at the walk.
Before our 1 mile walk.....
After our 1 mile walk. (But it was a long mile!)
Aren't we cute? I look tired because I am. Evelyn thinks sleep is for the weak. She thinks I'm stronger than I am.
After the heart walk, we came home and went to Glendale's annual Touch-a-Truck event. They bring in a bunch of big trucks and let the kids climb all over them, sit behind the wheel, and honk the horns. It was just at GCC so we walked over there and let Jacob have fun. He loves big trucks and always points them out as we are driving. He was so excited to see a "garbage dump truck" and a "front backhoe yoder" up close. He got to climb in and explore the cab of a "big, big, big big rig" and the garbage truck.
You like the creepy hand reflection at the bottom?
His favorite part of the whole event, though, was shovelling dirt with little scooper things you sit on (yes, that's the technical name). If we all hadn't been so tired from our grueling 1 mile walk earlier that morning, we would have stayed longer, but he had fun anyway.
You like the creepy hand reflection at the bottom?
His favorite part of the whole event, though, was shovelling dirt with little scooper things you sit on (yes, that's the technical name). If we all hadn't been so tired from our grueling 1 mile walk earlier that morning, we would have stayed longer, but he had fun anyway. So that was our full week. Oh, yeah and Jacob started potty training last week. On Tuesday, I was changing him and he told me, "I don' yike wearing diapers." So I told him that if he would go potty instead, he could wear underwear. He got right up, ran into the bathroom and went potty. You think he was ready? So Wednesday, we went and got him some underwear and started the process. He is doing very well, with only occasional accidents (which are typically my fault). It couldn't have come at a more convenient time as we only had 1 diaper left for him and I didn't want to buy another whole box.
Here are just a couple of random pictures that I thought were cute.

3 comments:
We were totally at that too. Small world.
I didn't know you were a cake decorator!! Cool!!
You all have been very busy. The cake looks great and the walk looked fun. So was the walk in preparation for the Turkey Trot?
Post a Comment