For anyone who is not aware, I have red hair. I always have. My 2 year old son also has red hair. I am aware of it also. Pretty much everywhere I go, people comment to me about it. Usually they ask where Jacob got his red hair and, while looking at me, ask if he got it from his dad. Occasionally, they will notice that my hair has some red in it too. At Wal-Mart this week, a lady stopped us in the produce section to comment, again, about Jacob's hair. Usually when they ask where he got it, I just smile and try to decide whether they are asking a rhetorical question or not. That is what I was doing in this instance since the lady was quite a bit older and looked pretty smart. She wasn't. After asking Jacob where he got his red hair and getting the blank 2 year old stranger danger stare, she looked at me for an answer. Then, before I could point to my own hair, she commented that one of us (his parents) must have had red hair when we were little. I told her that, in fact, I did have red hair when I was little. Still do.
As I was talking to her and really wanting to get sarcastic or laugh at her, another lady with obviously dyed red hair walked by. The lady I was already talking to said to the other "redhead," "Isn't his hair just beautiful?" The "redhead" came over and confirmed that yes, it was red and yes, it was beautiful. Then she turned to me and said, "You know, they say that we're becoming extinct." (This is another warning I get from everyone. Apparently, redheads are dying off and new ones are not being made so eventually the world will be without redheads. I have only heard it from random people in stores, never from "hair extinction specialists," so I don't know how true it is. I only know that it won't happen in my lifetime.) My thought was that chances are pretty good that there will always be people getting bad dye jobs. Unless, of course, they start putting highly toxic ingredients in the dye..............
Then, later on, a different lady stopped me and commented about Jacob's hair, again, and then noticed Evelyn in her car seat in the cart. She looked at her and said, "Wow, she's big! How old is she?" This is also a question I'm used to, being 6' tall myself. When I told her that Evelyn is 7 1/2 months old, she again said, "Wow, she's a big baby." Then, she told me that I needed to put her on a diet. I laughed, thinking of how ridiculous that would be so surely this lady must be joking. She looked up at me and said, "No, I'm serious. Her weight could really get out of hand. That's unhealthy. You really need to watch what she eats." She kept talking, but I just smiled as I walked away and shook my head in unbelief. Evelyn has had about 4 of the double packs of baby food and one spoonful of rice cereal in her life! How do you put a baby on a diet who doesn't actually eat? I should have told her that she's on a liquid diet. Breastmilk is a liquid.
Why do I still go to Wal-Mart?
Here are some pictures of the last couple of weeks.
Jacob and Evelyn. She can sit up for quite a while with no support!!!! Yea!!!
Playing in water on the tray while daddy get dinner ready and mommy is at the gym.
Jacob loves to draw. He sits down with a pencil and paper and asks, "what does a (whatever) have?" When we tell him, he draws some lines, then tells us what they are. For a long time his favorite subject was his Uncle Jed and his drums. After he draws the drums, he gets another pencil for his "drumsticks" and plays Uncle Jed's drum. It is very cute!
2 comments:
I love it when people give unsolicited advice and oponions. And people in Wal-Mart have a special ability to be really obnoxious. By the way, I like the new back round. Very cute.
LOL I love stupid people comments! You should have said your hubby was black and that's how he got the red hair! LOL People always comment to be "oh you have 3 boys" next time they do I'm going to get really panicky and say "oh crap! I left my other 2 boys in the car!" lol I love walmart!!
Post a Comment